Ebook by CBPBOS – Building A Test Team

We stumbled across this crazy eBook by a company called CBPBOS. It’s about recruiting the perfect test team and to be honest, we found it very disappointing. In fact, we found it insulting.

Right from the start, it seems to promote nothing but archaic and old fashioned recruitment techniques, with little emphasis on the person.

That’s why we’ve felt the need to give it the “Software Testing Club Stamp of Disapproval”.

This is officially disapproved of.

Oh yeah, and we had nothing to do with this eBook. Wink Wink.

Download – CBPOS eBook (PDF)

You might be interested in... The Dojo

Dojo Adverts-05

Tags:

16 Responses to “Ebook by CBPBOS – Building A Test Team”

1. Fred BeringerJuly 21, 2010 at 12:08 pm #

🙂 It made me chuckled and reminded me of the time I had to build my first Software Testing team. It also reminded me to finish my series on building high performing software testing team ! 🙂

Fred

2. havlatmJuly 22, 2010 at 1:01 pm #

It is not a a book but a short article. In addition writer need a little more experience. It looks that the purpose is just to write something from my point of view.
    The link from Fred is far better.

3. Mike BarnettJuly 22, 2010 at 2:23 pm #

It would be even funnier if CERTAIN agencies weren’t taking it seriously – apparently!!!!

Mike

4. GarethJuly 22, 2010 at 3:58 pm #

Ha ha – excellent ! This cheered up a dull morning for me, and I will be sending CBPOS a cheque for 2 years’ worth of consulting forthwith.

5. Lisa CrispinJuly 22, 2010 at 5:00 pm #

LOL, very cute! I’ll certainly recommend it! ;->

Fred, do you have a link to your series?

6. Fred BeringerJuly 22, 2010 at 6:35 pm #

Hey Lisa ! How is the Donkey ? 😉

Unfotunately I haven’t finished the series. There was the first part I’ve mentionned in my first comment and the part about organizational climate http://www.fredberinger.com/building-high-performing-software-testing-team-part-1-organizational-climate/

I need to write the remaining parts … Kick myself in the butt basically 🙂

Cheers all !

7. Jon SaludJuly 22, 2010 at 8:05 pm #

Very funny!

8. Mike ChapmanJuly 22, 2010 at 9:20 pm #

I’d laugh but I’m looking for work.

9. DeviJuly 22, 2010 at 10:14 pm #

Very funny 🙂

10. StephenJuly 23, 2010 at 12:30 am #

This company has been busy in the past few years. They have a number of followers in Government departments, and they only seem to be going from strength to strength.
    I’ll have to see whether they are listed on the stock exchange and reap some of their reward….

Stephen
    Un-certified….

11. Richard HillJuly 24, 2010 at 7:39 am #

I enjoyed the article. The descriptions of recruitment practises and team dynamic given caused me to recall a few real life instances.

I would like a follow up ebook giving advice on how to do things better. All IT workers complain about recruiters but when we are hiring or out of work recruiters are our best friends. The certification requirement is useful because it reduces the amount of time I need to spend interviewing. Obviously if some one has good open source experience then it is not needed, but I could wait 6 months for someone like that.

As for testing not being creative. I really wonder where people get this idea from. I’m not inexperienced but I never had a test role where I was not encouraged to use my initiative to solve problems and improve quality. I love team members who do this.

A much more common compliant is that an outsourced software team just tests to the written requirements and does not go further or think deeply about what they are doing. Funnily enough when I meet the team in person they are at least twice as creative and intelligent than I am and have been restricted by the development process imposed on them.

What is the answer to this?

12. Eusebiu BlinduJuly 24, 2010 at 8:42 pm #

I created also a spoof magazine similar to this

Sebi

13. Vikas GuptaJuly 26, 2010 at 4:47 am #

Not very impressive!! I feel author tried articulating it funny and fancy as per his understanding about the testing. I can consider it as a funny article but can not take it serious at all.

Better try next time 🙂

14. YhokzJuly 28, 2010 at 7:01 am #

I was quite amused and at the same intrigued by the article. This stuff is great.. I have shared this on my team and they enjoyed reading it!

15. M@rceAugust 11, 2010 at 4:08 pm #

Ja ja ja Muy bueno…irónicamente nos muestra que no es solo literario el tema de la creación de un buen equipo de testing; solo aplicando buenas prácticas se puede a concretar un equipo adecuado y eficiente.
    Gracias por compartir este artículo.

16. Pekka MarjamäkiAugust 27, 2010 at 6:24 am #

Hi, I’m pretty new to the blogosphere and I recently started to write English plog about testing in Finland. The reason why I posted this comment here is that I cited STC on my post. I just tought it would be appreciated if I let you know myself. The post is about recruiting an intern in a company with one (1) full time tester (help really comes handy!). The book got me thinking differently from (but unfortunately also similar to) the eBook and it encouraged me to publisha post about it. The English plog is at http://how-do-i-test.blogspot.com/2010/08/how-do-i-interview-new-tester.html and the Finnish version is at http://mitenmatestaan.blogspot.com/. Thanks for great inspiration!