Are You Automating The Wrong Things?
Welcome back. Another new exciting week ahead. Although we're focusing on UI Automation this week, I wanted to focus on careers, specifically for all of you that are switching jobs or hiring. Mark has a recommendation.
"This Masterclass is perfect for both interviewers and interviewees alike. When I first started interviewing others, I found it a great starting point. It also provides some tips and tricks for those who are new to interviewing as a Tester." - Mark, DojoBoss
This newsletter is kindly supported by mabl!
Each year, we seek to understand the evolving role of the tester, and how the shift to DevOps impacts QA. Fill out this survey you'll get access to the results, and be entered to win one of ten mabl t-shirts!
What's New With Ministry of Testing?
We've some new webinar recordings and a new podcast!
🤖 Investigating all the different tools available for UI Automation can be a bit overwhelming, nevermind trying to figure out the best way to use them. Particularly if you're new to automation. Louise Gibbs shares lots of valuable information to help you get started with SpecFlow in our latest article.
If you’re stumped by the concept of visual regression testing or if you’re worried about being caught out by focusing on automating the wrong things, Viv Richards and Neil Studd share their advice in our latest Testers' Island Disc podcast (they may have also got chatting about cricket). 🏏
🔎 Gáspár Nagy ran a recent interactive online meetup focusing on deliberate discovery, specification by example, BDD and example mapping, Behavior Driven Development (BDD) is an approach that encourages deliberate discovery. The recording is now available to watch, it might help you generate more testing ideas.
❄️ Need a hand with those flakey UI tests? Join our next Masterclass with Alex Burlton at 3pm on Tuesday 23rd. Alex will share how to find the root cause and how he uses observability to help reduce flakiness.
👉 Join Trisha's team for our UI Automation week team challenge on Friday and earn £500 for the whole team. An excellent way to end your week!
See our latest news and Dojo additions, catch up on anything you might have missed in the last few weeks.
This newsletter is also kindly supported by Testim!
Join Testim for a series of 7 lightning talks where test automation leaders will provide insights on trending topics like continuous testing, TestOps, and accessibility testing. Register before March 2!
We've picked out a few posts from our Club, blog and podcast feeds that we think would be useful to you.
🧠 Louise is wondering what advice would you give to people new to testing? If there was one piece of advice or information you wish you had been given earlier in your testing career what would it be?
Have you ever wondered where to trigger e2e tests in microservice land? Some excellent advice here!
For many in the community, it's salary review time. 💰 What tips would you offer people ahead of this?
Suzanne is new to the role of test lead and looking for help with a test strategy document for the whole organisation. Could you share some insights? 💡
Have you experimented with job titles? In learning to lead with testing, you might need to unlearn some habits along the way and experiment with titles too.
⚡️ Do you automate tests for your features within the same sprint? Angie has 3 ways to help you achieve this.
Ever thought you had nothing you could share in a blog, talk or podcast? Paul suggests that no one has your context, your knowledge, and your experience all bound up in a single entity and so you do in fact have something to share.
Upcoming MoT Events
All of our upcoming events - including training, Masterclasses, Ask Me Anythings and Panel Discussions.
- UI Automation Week - from the 22nd to the 26th of February 2021
- Masterclass: The UI Test That Cried Wolf - with Alex Burlton - 3pm UK Time - 23rd February
- Automation in Testing Online (Cohort Edition) - with Mark Winteringham and Richard Bradshaw - Starting on the 2nd of March 2021
- Testing Ask Me Anything - Critical Thinking with Fiona Charles - 8 pm UK Time - 9th March 2021
- Software Testing Essentials Live! - with Vernon Richards and Dan Ashby - 3 days training - 12th - 14th April 2021
Posts selected from our business feed. Highlighting interesting posts from our annual partners for 2021 - they make sure we're able to bring you excellent events, articles and everything else we do!
An interesting read on how you could reuse test workflow using the Facade design pattern.
Getting started with implementing automated tests and executing them using Appium the 1st time can be a daunting experience. Here are some setup scripts to get you started.
Shift-left Testing in Financial Services - It is interesting to see how the company shifted left using mabl.
99-Minute Workshops - February - March 2021
Find out what time the workshops are happening in your time zone by clicking on a workshop. Have a look at all our 99-Minute workshops.
- Mocks and Testability - Join Ali Haydar 8pm UK Time - 24th February
- Enhancing Your Python Selenium Tests with TestProject - Join Ran Tzur at 12pm UK Time - 26th February - This workshop is open for everyone to attend, thanks to TestProject!
- Uncovering the Power of Browser DevTools - Join Butch Mayhew at 12 pm UK Time - 1st March
- An Introduction to SQL for Testers - Join Lee Marshall at 8 pm UK Time - 3rd March
- Exploring Requirements with a Tester's Mindset - Join Janet Gregory at 12 pm UK Time - 8th March
- Property-based Testing in Java - Join Mike Solomon at 6 pm UK Time - 10th March
- Speed-testing Using Mind-maps - Join Lena Wiberg at 12 pm UK Time - 15th March
- RiskStorming Online - Join Beren Van Daele at 8 pm UK Time - 17th March
- Interactive Accessibility Quiz - Join Ady Stokes at 12 pm UK Time - 22nd March
- Continuous Testing Throughout the SDLC - Join Dan Ashby at 8 pm UK Time - 24th March
- Leading a Test Automation Strategy - Join Dana Aonofriesei at 12 pm UK Time - 29th March
- Git Foundations - Join Simon Berner at 8 pm UK Time - 31st March