Weekly Newsletter: Onboarding testers: Growing your new hire
This newsletter is kindly supported by the Ministry of Testing
TestBash Australia Early Bird Tickets Ending!
Early Bird tickets are ending on the 30th August. We've put together a cracking of a line-up of local and international speakers. You definitely don't want to miss out.
Testing and the Community
- Masterclass: Onboarding testers: Growing your new hire with AJ Larson - Onboarding is a painful process in just about any industry. Watch our Masterclass on the 10th September at 8pm UK Time to get lots of practical tips.
- Testing Ask Me Anything - Communities of Practice - Lee Marshall - The recording from our recent AMA.
- TestBash Detroit 2020 Call For Papers - It's our first TestBash in Detroit, we're very excited! Have you an experience you'd like to share, introduced a new process at work you think the world should know about? Submit your idea.
- Power Hour - Exploratory Testing - On the 27th of August Simon Tomes and Elizabeth Zagroba will spend an hour answering all your questions on Exploratory Testing on The Club!
- MoT Podcast Challenge - Michael Lang meets Theresa Neate - Michael Lang's pilot podcast where he met Theresa Neate discussed all things DevOps!
- The art of asking questions in a technical presentation (and questions cheat sheet) - Here are some tips for asking (or not asking).
- Whose Line Management Is It Anyway? - Great practical exercises.
- Your 2 basic visual regression testing options - Deep visual regression testing considers the CSS attributes of all elements, giving you unique advantages.
- Explore Apps in language without knowing the language - Are there any tips/hotkeys/pointers that will help me verify basic things?
- What is the one thing you dread testing and why? - We all have that one thing that we dread testing, what's yours?
Upcoming MoT Events
- Power Hour - Exploratory Testing - 27th August 2019 at 7pm UK Time
- Masterclass: Onboarding testers: Growing your new hire with AJ Larson - 10th September at 8pm UK Time
- TestBash Germany - 12th - 13th September 2019
- TestBash Manchester - 2nd - Thursday 3rd October 2019
- Test.bash(); - 4th October 2019
- TestBash Australia - 24th - 25th October 2019
- TestBash New Zealand - 29th October 2019
- TestBash San Francisco - 6th - 7th November 2019
- TestBash Brighton - 26th - 27th March 2020
- TestBash Detroit - 23rd - 24th April 2020
- Senate Members Ask DOJ to Take Action as Number of Website Accessibility Lawsuits Continues to Rise - in light of the increasing number of lawsuits and claim letters asserting violation of the ADA.
- Accessibility and web performance are not features, they’re the baseline - We must start to see inaccessible and slow websites for what they are: a form of cruelty.
- Using a Screen Reader on the new Twitter.com - Twitter.com relaunched with a new look and feel on July 15th.
- Interface For help (c#) - When we write code, we need to be consistent. If we set up some rules, we have to follow them.
- Let's Go Deep! Part II: Encryption, Tokens, and Cookies - what is the difference between cookies and tokens, the different types of cookies, and how cookies can be protected.
- Don’t make your code do the Hokey Cokey - Instead of always adding stuff on to change something to be the way we want, sometimes we should take things away.
- Automating the automation: Automating Vstest - The goal of this article is to show how to do so and why to automate visual studio tests (VS tests) execution.
- Explaining virtual methods in C# with words and pictures - Explaining the virtual methods in C#.
- How To Make Your Tests Faster And More Accurate With A Test Plan - When you've finished making a change to your website, the work has only just begun.
- 9 Mobile App Test Cases - In the world of continuous software development, mobile app developers are challenged to remain agile while consistently finding and eradicating user-critical bugs.
Check out our forever automagically updated list of software testing podcasts...
- 266: Automation Journey and TestNG with Rex Jones II - Rex will share some hacks that have helped his testing career, as well as his thoughts on the Java testing framework TestNG.
- How to build distributed resilient systems with Adrian Hornsby - Learn more about why resiliency starts with humans, why we need to version everything we do, why default timeouts have to be flagged and more.
- Episode 561 - Facebook Has People Listening To Your Recordings You Thought Were Private - Artifical Intelligence isn't intelligent from the start.
- 142: Mercedes secret sensors, smart cities, and ransomware runs riot - Discussing how cities in Texas are being hit by a wave of ransomware, how Mercedes Benz has installed a tracker in your car, the security threats impacting smart cities, and a new feature coming to your Facebook app.
- Second Steam Zero-Day Impacts Over 96 Million Windows Users - This has been publicly disclosed today by Russian researcher Vasily Kravets.
- Apple, Google, and Mozilla block Kazakhstan's HTTPS intercepting certificate - Kazakhstan government's root certificate banned inside Chrome, Firefox, and Safari.
- Multiple HTTP/2 DoS flaws found by Netflix - Exploiting them could make servers grind to a halt.
- Backdoor Found in Utility for Linux, Unix Servers - Backdoor was intentionally planted in 2018 and found during the DEF CON 2019 security conference when researchers stumbled upon malicious code.
- Google wants to reduce lifespan for HTTPS certificates to one year - A Google proposal would cut lifespan of SSL certificates from 825 days to 397 days.
- NWTG and MoT Launch Party! - Manchester
- MoTEC - Edinburgh
- Ministry of Testing #13 - Rio de Janeiro
- Ministry of Testing #09 - São Paulo
- Meetup #3 - The Art of Continuous Testing - Cairo
- MoTCLE August Meetup - Cleveland
- Selenium Grid Workshop - Costa Rica
- Lightning Stories - Sheffield
- Third-Wave Thinking - Fraser Crichton - Wellington
- MoTEC - Edinburgh
TestBash Detroit Call For Papers is Closing!
Submit your talk or workshop idea before the 30th September to be considered for TestBash Detroit!
TestBash Australia 19
We're heading back to Straya! Glorious weather, epic topics and awesome community. It's going to be an absolute ripper, see you there!
TestBash San Francisco 2019
Get your tickets now to be part of TestBash San Francisco 2019! The lineup is awesome, the venue has views for days, and the community vibe is unmatched! See you there?
TestBash Manchester 2019
Whoa! Hold the door, TestBash Manchester is back? That's right, the TestBash of North is back and this year is going to be amazing! Take a look at that lineup and book tickets now.