You're Baking a Tester Cake. What Goes in It?
Why join a community of people with an interest in the testing craft? Is it to learn from each other? Is it to build connections and perhaps friendships? A way to progress your career? Or is it something else? I'd love to know, feel free to message me.
Sometimes I think it's just about hanging out and letting loose, cos life can be super hectic. I'm excited we get to do that at HolidayBash. See you on Friday? 🥳
- Simon, CommunityBoss
This newsletter is kindly supported by Bird Eats Bug.
Free must-have Chrome extension: record your screen and Bird will auto-capture the relevant technical data, no config required. You'll significantly reduce manual work and avoid follow-up questions from engineers. Try 🐤 on your next bug - you'll love it.
Are you looking for career inspiration? Watch the latest Masterclass from Lena Wiberg and start making aspirational plans. 🧭
New Articles: What is Exploratory Testing? Here are four simple words to level up your exploratory testing efforts. And find out how it's a collaborative learning technique for the whole team.
🏝 New Podcast: Testers' Island Discs Episode 53. Kelly Kenyon joins Neil to discuss the many (oftentimes musical) threads of her working life, and how they have eventually led her to discover the joy of testing.
Continue the conversation:
- What do you see your role as in the community?
- Where do you store your onboarding documentation?
- What strengths do you have that you can build on to move your career forward?
- You're baking a tester cake. What goes in it? And how long do you stick it in the oven? 🥮
🎧 Listen as Kristof chats with Simon about how you can move your role into a more DevTestOps domain and watch as Maaret explores the realities of testing. 📺
We all learned so much during Test.bash(); 2021 and 30 Days of Tools so we thought it would be interesting to gather some stats to explore and reflect on. Check out this excellent infographic. Does anything surprise you? 😮
This newsletter is kindly supported by Mostly.ai
It's time to take radioactive production data out of your test environments and replace them with AI-generated synthetic test data. Download the ebook to learn how to have perfectly realistic, fully privacy compliant test data on-demand directly from your database!
- Automation In Testing: Managing Actions In Automation with Richard Bradshaw and Mark Winteringham - Tue, 30 Nov 2021, 12:00 PM - 2:00 PM GMT
- Building and Testing a Restful API with Josh Grant - Wed, 1st Dec 2021, 5:00 PM - 7:00 PM GMT. This workshop is open to all.
- Essentials: An Introduction To Exploratory Testing with Vernon Richards - Thu, 2 Dec 2021, 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM GMT
- 🥳 HolidayBash, Fri 3 Dec 2021, 2:00 PM - 6:00 PM GMT. An afternoon of brainteasing challenges, quizzes, and the opportunity to connect with fellow MoT members. There will be live TestMaster! And if you delight the TestMaster they’ll be lots of Ministry of Testing swag to win. We’ll also have the Big Fat Quiz of All Things Testing. Read the announcement and register.
- Exploring the unknowns with Xray Exploratory App with Sergio Freire - Mon, 13 Dec 2021, 5:00 PM - 7:00 PM GMT. This workshop is open to all.
⭐️ All 99 Minute Workshops are included in a Ministry of Testing Pro membership. ⭐️
If you're interested in finding out about future meetups, whether online or in person, check out the many Ministry of Testing Meetups or keep an eye on the Slack Events channel.
🤖 Artificial intelligence and machine learning are becoming valuable tools in testing, how could they be used for automation testing?
Selenium is an Automation Framework, but it’s not a strategy. How should we use Selenium within our overall strategy?
Have you heard about the new Applitools EyesLibrary? Learn how to get started with the Robot Framework Library. 📚
🥾 What are user story kick-offs? Learn how to implement user story kick-offs and improve quality as a team.
Get ahead in 2022 with these career-development community contributions. 🎯
Receiving and soliciting feedback is such a skill, particularly when it comes to planning and actioning your career goals. I enjoyed this short Twitter thread from Shivani. It's full of excellent advice on how to receive and ask for feedback!
🎧 The Testing Peers dive into coaching during their latest podcast episode. They explore the definition of coaching and how it helps you and others. And also ask, is quality coaching the future of our craft?
Nicola chatted with Christina about her move from a testing role to a more Agile-focused role. Discover two reasons why a tester can make the move into Agile Coaching.
Joining a new project, team, or company? Let Meg help you navigate your way around this new experience with their personal checklist of actions to take when starting a new project. ☑️
Simon is a CommunityBoss at Ministry of Testing and his pronouns are he/him. Currently learning to be a better community enabler, he has a passion for all things testing with a career in various testing roles since 2003. He particularly enjoys promoting and sharing the value of exploratory testing.