Software Testing Essentials
A three-day intensive training course designed to help you develop essential knowledge and skills in software testing and grow your testing career.
Why You Should Take This Course
Working in the world of software testing can be challenging. There are so many variables within testing to consider. There are lots of different perspectives on what testing is, how to do testing, and how to define and measure quality. Not to mention working out what direction to take your testing career and what areas to specialise in.
The Software Testing Essentials training course has been designed to help you overcome these challenges, give you answers to your questions and grow an amazing career in testing. Taking this course will help you develop a concrete understanding of what testing is and how it works. Our goal is to help you develop your knowledge in the most important areas of testing and gain essential skills that you can start using straight away.
Software Testing Essentials is delivered by skilled trainers who are accomplished experts in testing and quality. This course is taught using modern blended learning methods that allow you to build core software testing competencies through active, collaborative sessions with practical hands-on experiences.
What You’ll Learn on This Course
Bespoke online content will be made available to you prior to the start of the course that will give you underpinning knowledge ready to make the most of the 3-day course and hit the ground running!
After completing the online materials, you will be able to:
- Name some of the most common terminology used within the software development industry
- Follow your fellow classmates and share relevant testing information
- Understand what the key skills relating to testing are
- Understand the possible career trajectories are for testers
To kick-start the course, we will explore what testing is, reveal common testing misconceptions and begin to examine what test charters and exploratory testing are.
In the second half of day one, we will carry out exploratory testing sessions and deep dive into risks and risk-based testing.
By the end of day one, you will be able to:
- Explore different definitions of testing
- Critique misconceptions about testing
- Describe the different activities a tester does
- Examine the traits of a tester
- Produce a personal definition of what testing is
- Describe what a Test Charter is
- Describe different templates to use when creating Test Charters
- Construct Charters based on specific Risks
- Describe what Exploratory testing is
- Carry out Exploratory testing sessions
- Describe what a Risk is
- Apply different techniques for discovering risks
- Hypothesise different types of risks that might affect a product or project
- Construct testing activities from risks
In the first part of day two, we’ll examine the concepts of agile, how it affects the Software Development Life Cycle and form an agile test strategy based on your current working context.
In the second part, we’ll move onto analysing, applying and evaluating different approaches to testing notes and reporting.
By the end of day two, you will be able to:
- Describe the concepts of agile and how it affects software development
- Define different types of approaches found in agile teams
- Discuss why requirements testing is important and how to do it
- Use a range of techniques to test requirements
- Reflect on your current working context
- Evaluate your SDLC context to determine opportunities to test requirements
- Name 6 different approaches to note-taking
- Explain why note-taking in testing is important
- Apply different note-taking approaches to different testing scenarios
- Evaluate the pros and cons of note-taking approaches when testing ideas and testing products
The key goals of day three is being able to report on your testing and start to be able to explain software testing to others, advocating your views on testing. Additionally, forming your own test strategy, in line with your own context.
By the end of day three, you will be able to:
- Explain why and how to report your testing
- Compose reports on your testing and on quality
- Describe different forms of communication and why communication is important
- Discuss some of the challenges surrounding communication and how to overcome them
- Explain software testing fluently to others
- Apply techniques to help generate conversations about testing
- Evaluate the pros and cons of different communication methods in general
- Choose testing activities to form a test strategy based on your current context
Is This Course Right for Me?
Software Testing Essentials has been designed for anyone looking to improve their testing by taking a short, thorough, hands-on training course. Whether you’re looking for a career change, a new or aspiring tester, or someone looking to fill in gaps in your knowledge and skills, this course is for you.
Do I need to know or have done any testing beforehand?
Simply put, no. You don’t need to have had any previous experience in software testing. The Testing Essentials Intensive course is focused on building foundation knowledge and skills in essential areas of testing. You will be supported by skilled instructors with professional testing experience who will introduce you to the craft of testing in an accessible and supportive format.
What Do I Need To Bring?
Enthusiasm to learn, a mobile device and a laptop.
If you'd like to see this class in your town/city, or internally at your company please direct questions and enquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org