How to Stop Focusing on Test Cases
I've just read this brilliant article by Nicola Lindgren. Great emphasis on:
- Meet people where they are at on their journey to develop their testing skills
- Try something familiar alongside something new
- Capture quotes to reflect & inspire others.
- Simon, CommunityBoss
This newsletter is kindly supported by Mabl!
Testing should be an integral part of the development process. In this guide, we break down the four phases of development and the types of tests that should be executed in every stage, from code through production.
What's New With Ministry of Testing?
There are lots of opportunities to get involved this week with new training, articles and calls for content! Share and boost your testing skills.
We've all seen the bedlam around getting a PS5, but did you go so far as to build a bot to help you discover when they were in stock? Del did and made use of some solid automation skills along the way. 🎮
🚀 We’re excited to announce that we are looking for new 99 Minute workshop instructors! Learn everything you need to know to identify and plan a successful 99 Minute workshop.
Did you know, in 2020, we paid contributors £55,587 collectively for their work with Ministry of Testing We're currently looking for short Testing Tips videos and as always, we will pay you for your time! 📹
🎧 What is Pairwise testing? Venkat talks to Carlos in our latest podcast about what it is and gives hands-on examples of why and how to use this powerful technique for better testing and coverage.
Our most recent Security Testing Discussion recording is now live. Learn more about Security Testing - from useful tools and keeping up with emerging threats through to industry leaders that you should follow. 📺
See our latest news and Dojo additions, catch up on anything you might have missed in the last few weeks.
This newsletter is also kindly supported by Provar!
Provar’s simple, no-code solution makes it easy to get started with test automation. Whether you’re testing web applications, API connections, or email notifications, you can extend testing capabilities across use cases. Code custom test step types in Java for seamless test deployment.
Upcoming MoT Events
All of our upcoming events - including training, Masterclasses, Ask Me Anythings and Discussions.
- Masterclass: Succeed As a New Manager with Maryam Umar - 8pm UK Time - 18th May 2021
- Become a 99 Minute Workshop Instructor - With Mark Winteringham - 26th May - 21st June 2021
- Testing Ask Me Anything - Testing Essentials with Dan Ashby - 8pm UK Time - 1st June 2021
- TestBash Home 2021 - 17th and 18th of June 2021
- Testing Web Services and APIs Training 1-Day training with Mark Winteringham - 6th of July 2021
- Practice Pairing Under Constraints to Level Up Your Collaboration Skills 1-Day training with Simon Berner and Lisi Hocke - 9th July 2021
We've picked out a few posts from our Club, blog and podcast feeds that we think would be useful to you.
🎉 We've had a new addition to the team this week! Say hello to Simon, our new CommunityBoss
Have you or are you struggling with imposter syndrome? Some great advice shared in this thread from Ioan on The Club ♥️
Are you really a Test Coach? What are your thoughts regarding coaches in Software Development/Testing? Maria shares her experience in becoming a coach.
How do you ensure there is psychological safety within your team? Are there any great or terrible approaches you've seen? 🤔
Do you think developers are against testability? How can you work to fix the problem? Greg gathered some solutions from the testing community.
How do you transition teams from focusing on test cases? Is it a gradual transition or are you fighting a losing battle? 👀
Dave Harrison and Simon Prior join Matthew Heusser to talk about the need for software testing to be considered a viable path for colleges and universities and how to help them get the best leg up if/when they decide to make that decision.
We might not be taking to the skies just yet but that doesn't mean we don't need some air travel data for testing. Check out faker air travel by David. ✈️
Do you have any suggestions of tools for email testing? Kristof is looking for suggestions 🙏🏻
Posts selected from our business feed. Highlighting interesting posts from our annual partners for 2021 - they make sure we're able to bring you excellent events, articles and everything else we do!
It's always useful to get tips on how to be successful in a quality engineer interview.
🎭 Performance tests deserve to be in continuous testing too - is this something you've reserved for unit tests only?
Do you use CSS Selectors? This is a really useful cheatsheet.
Do you need some guidance with mobile test automation? 📱
99-Minute Workshops - May 2021
Find out what time the workshops are happening in your time zone by clicking on a workshop. Have a look at all our 99-Minute workshops.
- Interactive Accessibility Quiz - With Ady Stokes - 12pm UK Time - 10th May 2021
- An Introduction to Web UI Automation - With Mark Winteringham - 8pm UK Time - 12th May 2021
- Understanding Testability - With Richard Bradshaw - 12pm - 17th May 2021
- Uncovering the Power of Browser DevTools - With Butch Mayhew - 8pm UK Time - 19th May 2021
- Exploring Quality - With Dan Ashby - 12pm UK Time - 24th May 2021
- Leading a Test Automation Strategy - With Dana Aonofriesei - 8pm UK Time - 26th May 2021
- Automating Hybrid Applications with Appium - With Wim Selles - 3pm UK Time - 28th May 2021 - Open to everyone to attend
- Introduction to Creating Test Strategies - With Huib Schoots - 12pm UK Time - 31st May 2021