Weekly Newsletter: Is testing instincts and deliberate practise?
This newsletter is kindly supported by Testcover
Complex configurations can seem like a forest of settings and constraints. Physical configuration changes are particularly challenging without automation. Testing with a small number of configurations improves efficiency. Pairwise testing aims to do that.
All Things Ministry of Testing
- Testers' Island Discs Ep37 - Louise Woodhams discusses imposter syndrome, debates with Mark whether testing can be taught and the difference between instincts and deliberate practise and their love of testing APIs.
- How The Jobs To Be Done Concept Can Help Quality And Testing - Interesting idea that can improve my testing understanding of quality.
- Understanding Testability - Join Richard at 1pm New York, US Time on 5th August 2020. Learn to define testability, explore its characteristics, survey a given context to better understand its testability and create a testability canvas/map/worksheet.
- How Would You Test a Calculator? - It may appear simple on the outside but had hidden complexities once you started to dive deeper. So how would you do it?
- What Packages/Plugins/Frameworks Do You Use In Cypress? - Cypress out of the box is pretty great, but what other packages/plugins/frameworks do you use to make it better?
- TDD for Testers with Gary Fleming - Learn more about what TDD is, why it's such a useful tool and when/how to use it as a tester
- My Automation In Testing Online Experience - Mayura Taoself was able to take AiT course because of the MoT scholarship fund. Read all about Mayura's experience.
- A Software Tester’s Guide To Influence - How much more could you achieve if you knew how to communicate in a useful way?
- Introduction to Python for Software Testers - This course is not about becoming a programmer, it is to give you another tool in your testing tool belt.
Community News & Podcasts
- Announcing API Testing Challenges - A set of challenges designed to guide you through the basic technologies and principles, built into our online gamification learning environment.
- Is reviewing code a risk? - Some tips of doing a useful code review.
- GitHub Actions - Tania Allard - Lots of Python projects are starting to use GitHub Actions for Continous Integration & Deployment (CI/CD), as well as other workflows.
- AB Testing – Episode 125: P* Management and ATAOSQ - Talking about how Program Management can help with Modern Testing and Accelerating the Achievement of Shippable Quality.
- Episode 797 - New Tool Helps You Find Shadow Admin Account In AWS and Azure - This episode talks about how the tool works and why you should use it on your cloud environments regularly.
99-Minute Workshops - August
- Git Foundations - 12pm UK Time - 3rd August 2020
- Understanding Testability - 1pm New York, US Time - 5th August 2020
- An introduction to Web UI automation - 12pm New Zealand Time - 7th August 2020
- What is testing in production and why would we ever do that?! - 12pm UK Time - 10th August 2020
- Approval Testing - 1pm New York, US Time - 12th August 2020
- Introduction to creating test strategies - 12pm New Zealand Time - 14th August 2020
- Interactive Accessibility Quiz - 12pm UK Time - 17th August 2020
- API testing in Python with requests - 1pm New York, US Time - 19th August 2020
- There's no U in Coach - 12pm UK Time - 24th August 2020
- Exploring Quality - 1pm New York, US Time - 26th August 2020
Posts selected from our business feed
- Unscripted - Aled Miles & Elke Edwards - Learning Agility - Elke talks about how Ivy House brings the best training to emerging leaders - and how the best leaders are open to learning agility from their experience.
- How to approach quality reporting for QA Managers - How do you report on quality, what do you look for, and what are the most important metrics to measure?
- The Role of Testing in DevOps - There is nothing more frustrating than trying to add value to a team, but at the same time, temporarily blocking the team’s release process.
Upcoming MoT Events
- 99 Min Workshops - We have multiple workshops running during different timezones in upcoming months.
- Masterclass: Reporting on Testing & Quality - 8pm UK Time - 11th August 2020
- Testing Ask Me Anything - Automation - 8pm UK Time - 8th September 2020
- TestBash Manchester Online - 2nd October 2020
- TestBash Netherlands Online - 15th - 16th October 2020
- Test.bash(Online); - 29th October 2020
- TestBash New Zealand Online - 20th November 2020
Things You Might Have Missed
Articles and posts on Security, Accessibility and Automation from around the web.
- A Beginner’s Guide to ADA Website Accessibility Compliance - Learn about inclusive design and how to optimize your website for ADA compliance.
- We've forgotten the most important thing about AI. It's time to remember it again - AI doesn't have agency, it doesn't look human, and it is actually still pretty restricted.
- BootHole fixes causing boot problems across multiple Linux distros - Debian, Ubuntu, Red Hat, CentOS, Fedora users report issues with booting or dual-booting their devices.
- Summer 2020 #2 - Vilnius
- Webinar: Encontrando tu voz durante las transformaciones ágiles - Fanny Gallardo - Online, Uruguay
- Taiko with Amit Sarkar - Online, Nottingham
- Testability : Custom Tools - Online, Sheffield
- Thomas Shipley - Consumer-Driven Contract Tests and Microservices - Online, Buckinghamshire
- Lunchtime TestSphere Discussion - Online, Buckinghamshire