Weekly Newsletter: Python Automation Learning - What next?
This newsletter is kindly supported by Progress!
Have you struggled with overwhelming manual test cycles, hard to automate scenarios and unreliable, broken tests? Test Studio is here to help regardless of the UI technology you use. Download a free 30-day trial today with full access to support and education.
All Things Ministry of Testing
- HolidayBash - It's happening this week! Get your ticket and join us for a testing community party this Friday.
- Hello, Cypress! - Cypress is a very useful tool, Kate Nesmyelova gave a talk on how to start using it, what its advantages and challenges are.
- Emojis: A Critical Path For Testing - Whether you use emojis or not, do you test for them? What bugs could you be missing?
- Explore the Unknown with Exploratory Testing - Maybe it's time to revisit exploratory and refresh your ideas with this Masterclass from Sérgio Freire.
- Off-Roading with Test Scripts - Find out how to shift security left using threat modelling, collaboration with Application Security, and risk-based security testing from Sylvia Killinen from her recent online meetup talk.
- MoT Podcast - Mike Meets Sérgio Freire - Mike talks to Sérgio about his career in software development, as a developer, team lead and then a subtle shift in career.
- Onboarding New Members while Working Remotely - Any great tips on how to onboard new team members (especially, devs) on your quality mindset?
- What GitHub Repositories do you have Starred? - Some useful ones shared so far, do you have more to add?
- Python Automation Learning - What next? - Where should Shey go next in his Python journey?
This newsletter is also kindly supported by Mabl
While it's useful (and fun!) to dive into test creation, you'll be most successful by taking a strategic approach to test automation. It starts with goals, communication, and alignment - read the blog for all the ways you can maximize your impact.
Community News & Podcasts
- How to Be Seen - One of the difficulties of being a software tester is that when you’re doing your job really well, it’s unnoticeable!
- Testing virtual reality software - Talking to Ian Goddard about the challenges faced in testing this software.
- Robo dogs, deepfakes and dirty deceptions with Tim Harford - Tim Harford discusses the merits of robotic canine security guards, deepfakes, and the curious tale of an art forgery.
99-Minute Workshops - December
Find out what time the workshops are happening in your time zone by clicking on a workshop.
- Uncovering the Power of Browser DevTools - Join Butch Mayhew at 6pm UK Time - 2nd December
- An Introduction to SQL for Testers - Join Lee Marshall at 11pm UK Time - 3rd December
- Leading a Test Automation Strategy - Join Dana Aonofriesei at 12pm UK Time - 7th December
- Exploring Requirements with a Tester’s Mindset - Join Janet Gregory at 6pm UK Time - 9th December
- Property-based Testing in Java - Join Mike Solomon at 6am UK Time - 11th December
- RiskStorming Online - Join Beren Van Daele at 12pm UK Time - 14th December
- How to Solve Integration Issues with Contract Testing - Join Roman Segador at 6pm UK Time - 16th December
Posts selected from our business feed
- Cross browser testing for every team - The best way to ensure a good user experience is by testing your product comprehensively.
- 8 Cypress Plugins You Should Know - There are tons of plugins which you can just install via npm and use them within your tests.
- Speed Up Test Creation and Reduce Maintenance - Making tests faster means you can make more tests.
Upcoming MoT Events
- HolidayBash - 4th - 5th December 2020
- Testing Ask Me Anything - Accessibility - 8pm UK Time - 8th December 2020
- Masterclass - Designing Test Cases Focused on the User Experience - 8pm UK Time - 12th January 2021
Things You Might Have Missed
Articles and posts on Security, Accessibility and Automation from around the web.
- 10 tips for building accessible websites and apps - Rose Burt shares lessons on improving usability for people with disabilities —and for all.
- The most useful accessibility testing tools and techniques - Many of the tools could be used directly in the browser and don’t require any technical knowledge.
- Firefox 83 introduces HTTPS-Only Mode - Security on the web matters.
- Xbox bug could have allowed hackers to link gamer tags with players' emails - The bug could have been exploited by playing around in a browser's developer console and editing a cookie field.
- Fake Minecraft mods installed on over one million Android devices - If you or your kids are fans of Minecraft then take care before installing apps that modify the immensely popular game.
- Health as a Tester - look after your mental wellbeing - Online, Nottingham
- Reindeer Games - Online, Sheffield