Weekly Newsletter: Rewrite Vs Refactor - Which Should You Do?
This newsletter is kindly supported by the Ministry of Testing!
Finding useful, accessible training for new testers is pretty difficult. We're providing exactly that with this 3 day essentials training course. New testers can hit the ground running with actual working knowledge on up to date testing. Who do you know that could benefit?
Testing and the Community
- Roll Up! Roll Up! TestBash and Test.bash(); Manchester are back in town! - We now have Blind Bird tickets on sale and we're accepting your talk and workshop ideas! Get submitting.
- Stop Tuning Out and Start Tuning In - Digging into the things that everyone else is ignoring, not only makes the job interesting but shows your value as the tester.
- Masterclass: Rewrite Vs Refactor - Join Anand on the 10th March at 8pm to learn the difference between refactoring and rewriting your code, regardless of the code you're working.
- The "Do Nots" of Testing - Melissa explores five traditional QA approaches, in particular, how to develop them to add more value to support modern development approaches.
- MoT Podcast Challenge - Adam Leon Smith meets Trish Khoo - They're discussing integration tests and test scope.
- MoT Podcast Challenge - David Williams meets Karen Greaves - They caught up at TestBash New Zealand and chatted about agile and becoming a more mindful and deliberate tester.
- How would you test a smart watch? - Get your brain firing.
- Inclusion matters: [Part 3] How to increase inclusion? - Finding the right balance can be hard.
- Five Ways To Motivate Your Testing Team - If you're in a position to help your team, do.
- Why We Need To Get Rid Of Thought Leaders - He has a point.
- A (former) Tester Interview - Beren Van Daele - An unusual tale of a move from software testing to product owning and beyond.
- Rapid Testing: Dev/Test handovers reinvented - Interesting to read how Neil address the gap between developers and testers.
Upcoming MoT Events
- Testing Ask Me Anything - DevOps - 1 hour - 8pm UK Time - 11th February 2020
- Power Hour - Should We Just… Delete It? - 1 hour - 7pm UK Time - 12th February 2020
- Masterclass: Rewrite Vs Refactor - 1 hour - 8pm UK Time - 10th March 2020
- TestBash Brighton - 26th - 27th March 2020
- TestBash Detroit - 23rd - 24th April 2020
- TestBash Netherlands - 28th -29th May 2020
- TestBash Manchester - 30th September - 1st October 2020
- Test.bash(); Manchester - 2nd October 2020
- Building an inclusive experience: Why accessibility matters - Your customer wants to know what each element on your screen represents and wants to interact with it via any input device they require.
- Documentation and Accessibility - What format needs to be accessible? PDF, HTML, or both??
- Standards for Writing Accessibly - Writing to meet WCAG2 standards can be a challenge, but it’s worthwhile.
- Testing Apache Beam Pipelines with Confidence - Testing pipelines allows you to gain confidence in your pipeline code before deploying.
- Webdrivers with culture - Testing internationalisation - When handling multiple languages, it is important to be able to verify that your site is responding as specified for different languages.
- What are Tuples? – C# and Python - Filling a knowledge gap.
- Using Git for branching and merging - Great information to help you get your head around Git.
- 3 Must-Have Tools to Simplify Manual QA Testing - Let's take a look at three tools that can help improve the manual QA process by increasing efficiency and reducing the time it takes to accomplish.
- What’s the deal with regression testing and why are we still spending so much time on it? - So is regression testing still needed?
- Open Source Spotlight: Hint.css & Web Maker - Hint.css is a tooltip library that lets users create tooltips in CSS easily. Web Maker is an offline browser-based web playground that teaches programming in areas of low network connectivity.
- Top 5 Software Testing Trends of 2020 - Some existing trends look like they'll continue to get stronger.
- SauceCon Speaker Profile: Hilary Weaver-Robb - Hilary Weaver-Robb, wants you to know how important it is to test APIs.
- 7 Simple User Feedback Questions to Help You Embrace the Voice of the Customers - Do you do any of these?
Check out our forever automagically updated list of software testing podcasts...
- The Testing Show: How to Identify Testing Talent - As it is a new year, we decided it would be interesting to discuss the hiring of testing talent as well as being the testing talent and looking to be hired.
- Episode 670 - IoT Strikes Again - The UK Takes The First Steps To Securing IoT - This episode talks about a positive twist that is starting to happen that I have been begging to happen for years.
- 163: Russian heists and Ring wrongs - Should possessing malware be illegal in itself? How did a Russian cryptocurrency exchange millionaire lose his fortune? And what on earth are Amazon Ring doorbell cams up to now?
- Software Maintenance and Chess - This episode explores a few of analogies between group chess and software development and maintenance of existing systems.
- Leaked Documents Expose the Secretive Market for Your Web Browsing Data - An Avast antivirus subsidiary sells 'Every search. Every click. Every buy.
- Huawei set for limited role in UK 5G networks - The UK has decided to let Huawei continue to be used in its 5G networks but with restrictions, despite pressure from the US to block the firm.
- Citrix Accelerates Patch Rollout For Critical RCE Flaw - Citrix has issued the first of several updates fixing a critical vulnerability in various versions of its Citrix Application Delivery Controller (ADC) and Citrix Gateway products.
- Cybercrime laws need urgent reform to protect UK, says report - Britain’s cyber-defences are being endangered by the outdated Computer Misuse Act.
- Microsoft Offers Rewards in New Xbox Bug Bounty Program - Microsoft is offering rewards of up to $20,000 for finding vulnerabilities.
- What is Testing? - Essentials Meetup Manchester
- WeCode - Edinburgh
- Presentation about security testing in Android - Gothenburg
- #NottsTest - BDD Workshop - Nottingham
- Lean Coffee - Banned Words Edition - Sheffield
- Shey Crompton and Open Mic Night - Cambridge
- Building a security testing robot army - Auckland
- What is testing? - Essentials Meetup London
- Profiling Test Data with Shawn McCarthy - Phoenix