Weekly Newsletter : Test Leadership Lessons Learnt
Get weekly software testing community news to your inbox - sign up for our much-loved newsletter!
Temporal testing is critical for date sensitive business rules such as insurance rates, billing, and enrollment. Efficient time travel testing can increase your test coverage, accelerate development, and improve software quality. Read our whitepaper to learn the 5 ways to time travel software.
Testers and those in non-direct leadership positions might find these lessons and tactics useful when exercising leadership in complex environments where the testing craft and its value are not understood or recognized.
Steve Cooper shares his scholarship story. I reached out to the MoT Team for some support to attend their software testing conference, TestBash, and they kindly offered me a TestBash Brighton ticket along with the opportunity to participate in their new experiment, The UnExpo. So, I was in!
On April 26th at 6pm BST, learn about the inner-workings of Appium's structure, drivers, and architecture – from the R&D Director that researched Appium for over a year, while developing major capabilities for testing both iOS and Android apps.
On Tuesday 8th May at 8pm UK time, we're talking all things Security Testing. What are the most important security risks and vulnerabilities? What tools can you use for Security Testing? How is Security Testing different from other kinds of testing? All potential questions you could ask Daniel once you've registered.
Andrew comes to the island to share stories from TestBash Brighton 2018, highlighting a few of his favourite sessions and drawing parallels to his own career experiences. He also brings a particularly wide variety of songs spanning a range of genres, including satire, movies, videogames, musical theatre, and artists that it's okay to like even if they're not "cool".
This session looks at why we automate tests, the issue with just manually testing, common end to end automation pitfalls, a brief introduction to visual testing and finally a look at common issues with visual testing and ways to overcome them.
We've picked a few topics of interest from The Club for you to read, contribute and generally get involved with.
What’s your view on Test Managers and the role they play in the modern Software Development ecosystem?
Have you read Crucial Conversations? Would you recommend it to others? What parts of the book stood out to you the most?
Highlighting a selection of blog posts from the testing community.
An idea which I was pretty excited about sharing, was the idea of bringing your test scenarios close to your Automation code. In fact, I worked on a case where it can actually reside on the same repo or codebase as your automation scripts.
The focus of this blog is how to run a successful bug bash: what you will do before, during and after the Bug Bash.
- Get yourself beyond your own limitations. Learn from your bug reports! - Testing Bits Blog
- What can testers learn from geese? - Quality is King by Peter Gould
- 7 Ways You Can Change The Software Testing Industry - Rosie Land
- Test Driven Testing – No Activities Outside the Objective - Assert.This
- When Product Management Goes Wrong – Part 5 – the Dread Pirate Roberts - Jonathan Kohl
- Agile Testing book club: Let them feel pain – Gregory Testing
- On creating reasonable expectations in test automation – A TestBash Netherlands workshop - On Test Automation
- אשרי אדם מפחד תמיד Happy is the man who always fears: קץ הבדיקות הידניות Manual Testing - Finally dead
- Essence of Testing - A new beginning - Essence of Testing
- Testers and Received Wisdom - Stories from a Software Tester
Testing PodcastsMoT host various podcasts, but here is a selection of interesting testing podcasts from around the web.
- Test Automation Made Easy: Tools, Tips & Training Awesomeness - Protractor Automation for Angular
- 198: Testing and Planning For The Unknown with Kinga Witko - Test Talks
- 41: Testing in DevOps and Agile - Anthony Shaw - Test and Code
- The Future of Telecom Testing With Jason McIvor - The Testing Show
Testing ChatterWe keep a close eye on our two slack groups - testers.chat and our MoT Slack. This is what they've been sharing.
- Thousands of Thai mobile users exposed in telco data leak
- How to Create an Effective 404 Error Page – Muzli -Design Inspiration
- Nottingham mum 'goes bananas' over Asda's £930 bill - BBC News
- Cops Around the Country Can Now Unlock iPhones, Records Show - Motherboard
- Things you should know about Unicode - Nicolas Dubien
- Researchers Conclude Google's Play Store Is Likely Chock Full of Apps That Improperly Track Children
- FTC tightens reins around Uber following 2016 breach - Ars Technica
- “Open sesame”: Industrial network gear hackable with the right username - Ars Technica
- Facebook Secretly Saved Videos Users Deleted
- iOS Sync Glitch Lets Attackers Control Devices - Threatpost
- QA, QA, who the funk are QA? - Daniel McNamee