This newsletter is kindly supported by Vornex!
Temporal testing is critical for date sensitive business rules such as insurance rates, billing, and enrollment. Efficient time travel testing can increase your test coverage, accelerate development, and improve software quality. Read our whitepaper to learn the 5 ways to time travel software!
Testing and the Community
- TestBash Home 2020 Schedule is Live! - We’ve released the schedule for TestBash Home with a few timezone options.
- Win a Pro Membership thanks to PractiTest! - Enter the competition to win a year pro membership!
- Testing Ask Me Anything - API Testing with Hilary Weaver-Robb - Our next AMA is happening on the 12th May at 8pm UK Time. Get registered and get your questions in!
- Community Stories: Sankey Diagram - How to follow data flow in real time.
- Overcoming Cognitive Dissonance - Our recent Masterclass recording is now available to watch. Truly fascinating how we do or do not understand the information we're given.
- How to articulate the value of QE? - How do you articulate this to management?
- No Code, No Test? - There is a new type of business applications emerging – the “Low Code / No Code” products.
- Tenacious Feelings – Test Sphere Stories - Louise shared her story about getting tenacious about a bug.
- The Positivity in Community - Something that many of us, now more than ever, need.
Upcoming MoT Events
- TestBash Home - 30th April 8pm UK Time - 1st May 9pm UK Time
- Testing Ask Me Anything - API Testing - 1 hour - 8pm UK Time - 12th May
- TestBash Manchester - 30th September - 1st October 2020
- Test.bash(); Manchester - 2nd October 2020
- TestBash Netherlands - 15th - 16th October 2020
- TestBashX Edinburgh - 30th October 2020
- TestBash New Zealand - 16th - 17th November 2020
- Dealing with bugs using impossible tests - Interesting logic for data gathering.
- Scaling visual testing with BackstopJS (Part 1) - As a free and open source tool for conducting visual tests, BackstopJS is a good way to start exploring visual testing.
- Integrating Pact in our CircleCI build pipelines - Marie is sharing "how we can integrate our contract tests to a CI/CD pipeline".
- Internationalization Case Study: The Django Framework - When discussing internationalization, it's easy to get caught up in theoretical debates of best practices and implementation strategies. This cuts through all that.
- The Show Must Go On(line): Introducing SauceCon Online - On May 12 and 14, Sauce Labs will bring together the global testing community for SauceCon Online.
- Top 30 GIT Commands With Setup and Advantages - Some useful commands you may or may not know.
- Web Accessibility - Five common fallacies - How an accessibility strategy increases your organisational maturity and helps you dodge these awkward situations in the first place.
- What's in a name? - Often when we talk about accessibility problems, we end up talking about a number of different errors that all boil down to a missing accessible name.
- Understanding SC 1.4.13: Content on Hover or Focus - These kinds of interactions might pose accessibility challenges to a wide variety of disabled user groups.
Check out our forever automagically updated list of software testing podcasts...
- Achieving Reliability through Chaos Engineering with Tammy Bütow - Tammy shares her experiences of bringing reliability into highly complex systems at NAB, Digital Ocean, DropBox or now Gremlin through chaos engineering.
- Episode 723 - The Many Ways Hackers Are Using Coronavirus To Come After You - This episode talks about other kinds of methods they use, other than phishing, to come after you.
- Testing in Financial Services - Eric Bergemann - Financial services have their own unique testing development challenges.
- E31 - Testing From Home, Pitfalls & Tips - Reviewing a number of points and talking about things you may do to improve your working from home status.
- 174: Garry Kasparov and Animal Crossing - Discussing celebrity lookalikes, smartphone fleeceware, the impact Coronavirus is having on security, and how a popular new video game is being used for political ends.
- The Testing Show: Working Remotely - A frank conversation about the stresses and realities of working remotely.
- Episode 18: Jenna Charlton - A Woman Who Is a Champion for Accessibility and Inclusion - Learn more about Jenna's passion for testing and giving back to the community.
- PayPal and Venmo Are Letting SIM Swappers Hijack Accounts - Even after being warned by researchers, some companies still haven’t fixed systems that make it easy for hackers to take over accounts.
- Apple and Google reveal joint COVID-19 tracing tool for iOS and Android - Apple and Google’s engineering teams have banded together to create a decentralized contact tracing tool that will help individuals determine whether they have been exposed to someone with COVID-19.
- Attackers can bypass fingerprint authentication with an ~80% success rate - Fingerprint-based authentication is fine for most people, but it's hardly foolproof.
- Update on Zoom’s 90-Day Plan to Bolster Key Privacy and Security Initiatives - Is Zoom finally starting to take its security and privacy concerns more seriously?
- API Testing: Kicking Butt With Karate - Dennis Whalen - Online, Columbus
- Retos de pruebas de software en equipos multiculturales y remotos - Online, South America
- Skills to pay the bills! Creating testers for the future - Online, Buckinghamshire
- Introduction to Spock - a Vulkan specification Framework - Online, Athens
- Mejora Continua en equipos de Testing por Nadia Cavalleri - Online, Costa Rica
- Testing Automation Novice Pitfalls (and ways around them) - Online, Atlanta
- Panel Discussion on CI/CD Tools - Online, Bangalore
- Mustor Executive Speed Tricks - Online, Brisbane