Weekly Newsletter: The Mysteries of the Test Pyramid
This newsletter is kindly supported by Testcover!
Complex configurations can seem like a forest of settings and constraints. Physical configuration changes are particularly challenging without automation. Testing with a small number of configurations improves efficiency. Pairwise testing aims to do that.
All Things Ministry of Testing
- Mysteries and Mathematics of the Test Pyramid - If you use the dimensions of The Great Pyramid of Giza you’ll end up with a greater understanding of the role and dependencies of each layer of your testing pyramid.
- Masterclass Let’s Go Larvae Hunting! Learn how to find bugs before they become bugs. Join our Masterclass at 8pm UK Time on 22nd September.
- RiskStorming Online - Join Beren's 99-Minute workshop at 8am UK Time to understand and practice moderating an online RiskStorming Session.
- Automation In Testing - This is an active and authentic training course where you will take on the role of several specialists in automation tasked with automating a real-life modern web application. Join Richard Bradshaw and Mark Winteringham on 28th-30th September.
- TestBash Manchester: Will There Be Pies? - Have you started planning your TestBash Manchester menu?
- Bloggers Club September/October 2020: What’s the best career advice you’ve ever had? - Get involved in the upcoming challenge.
- Automated testing for Windows desktop - Akos is looking for free tool(s) to make automated test scripts for a Java-based application.
- Having trouble writing test cases for a complex piece of software - My problem is that I don’t know where to put these test cases.
Community News & Podcasts
- How Can You Tell If Your Automated Tests Are Any Good? - When you’re finished, you’ll be able to create effective page objects for any UI interface you encounter.
- How to make your GUI test automation less flaky and brittle - Change is inevitable for the GUI of a web application, or any part of it.
- How to Define Quality? - ‘We need to Improve our Quality!’, ‘We have bad Quality!’, ‘We sell a tool that measures Quality!’, ‘I’ll add some tests to improve Quality!’ These are just a fraction of sentences I’ve picked up over the years that make NO SENSE.
- AI Self Healing Test Recorder with Eldar Kravetsky - Not many things are more annoying to an automation engineer than a UI with dynamic elements that change their locators with every test script run.
- Don’t set this image as your background - In this episode, they talk about a bug where if you set an image as a background on certain Android phones it would put your phone into a boot loop.
- Episode 831 - How To Blur Your Home In Google And Bing Street View - You may not want anyone to see detailed photos of your home.
For QA teams working with tough timelines, Kualitee test management tool is a real time saver. From reusability of test cases, to one-click reporting of automated and manual testing, to defect management, it shrinks down time for quick software delivery.
99-Minute Workshops - September - October
Find out what time the workshops are happening in your time zone by clicking on a workshop.
- RiskStorming Online - Join Beren Van Daele at 7 pm New Zealand Time (NZST) - 25th September 2020
- Speed-testing Using Mind-maps - Join Lena Wiberg at 12pm UK Time - 5th October 2020
- API Testing With Postman - Join Suman Bala at 12pm UK Time - 19th October 2020
- Team Care: Making Mental Health an Agile Practice - Join Jenna Charlton at 6pm UK Time - 21st October 2020
Posts selected from our business feed
- Testing Different Kinds of Correctness - Here are a few other kinds of tests that testers need to know how to perform.
- Can Automated Cross Browser Testing Be Ultrafast? - Marie Drake shares her opinions about the Ultrafast Grid.
Upcoming MoT Events
- 99 Minute Workshops - We have multiple workshops running during different timezones in upcoming months.
- Masterclass: Let’s Go Larvae Hunting! - 8pm UK Time - 22nd September 2020
- TestBash Manchester Online - 2nd October 2020
- Testing Ask Me Anything - Career Building - 8pm UK Time - 13th October 2020
- TestBash Netherlands Online - 15th - 16th October 2020
- Test.bash(Online); - 29th October 2020
- TestBash New Zealand Online - 20th November 2020
Things You Might Have Missed
Articles and posts on Security, Accessibility and Automation from around the web.
- Let’s make Accessibility sustainable at scale - When you hear the word ‘sustainability’, do you immediately think of the environment, green energy and windmills?
- What to look for in an accessibility audit - If your organization is completely new to digital accessibility, an audit or assessment is a great place to start to see where your organization stands.
- Microsoft: Now PowerShell's secrets tool preview supports Linux and macOS - Microsoft overhauls the design of SecretManagement module for the PowerShell command-line interface.
- Mozilla shuts down Firefox Send and Firefox Notes services - Mozilla will shut down Send for good after a ZDNet report over the summer that highlighted the service's popularity with malware operators.
- Diskuse o testování - Brno
- All things Exploratory Testing - Online, Atlanta
- An intro to TDD and BDD with Andrea Dresmann - Online, Toronto
- Test Strategy vs Test Plan vs Test Case - What's the difference? - Online, Cincinnati