Weekly Newsletter: Visual Testing - More than Just a Pretty Face
This newsletter is kindly supported by YOW!
Software experts from around the world are coming to Australia in early December. Join us in Sydney, Brisbane, or Melbourne to network and enjoy talks on topics from Design to Microservices to DevOps and more. Early bird ends 15 August, so don’t wait!
Testing and the Community
- Test Mobs In Practice - great experience report from Jan Jaap Cannegieter and Michel van‘t Zant, they did lots of experimenting with interesting results.
- Win a TestBash Ticket! 🤩 - We’re offering up a ticket to any TestBash in 2019 to the Ninja of the month on The Club for August! Become a ninja by being an active member of The Club. Answer questions, get involved in discussions, start new ones.
- Testers' Island Discs Ep27 - Christian Kram - Discussing the challenges of being a trainer and training others, communication techniques, working in a company that self organises and has no leaders as well as how to test mattresses.
- Visual Testing: More than Just a Pretty Face - Angie Jones will share some unexpected benefits of visual test automation at TestBash Australia! Early Bird tickets end on 30th August.
- Being Uniquely Me at Ministry of Testing - Having the freedom to be uniquely me, I genuinely feel like I bring a better version of myself to work every day.
- CI/CD - How do you maintain your Jenkins? - Do you use production jobs OR do you have a separate Jenkins job for test environment and even a separate Jenkins environment for running tests on test environments?
- Apple joins Google, Facebook, and Twitter in data-sharing project - The Data Transfer Project wants to make it easy to move data between services.
- Measuring Our Continuous Delivery Progress - Embarking on work to move off a legacy monolithic Oracle Commerce platform and creating a microservice-based architecture hosted in Google Cloud.
- British Airways passengers stranded after IT failures - British Airways says it has fixed the IT glitch which caused more than 100 flights to be cancelled and more than 200 others to be delayed.
Upcoming MoT Events
- Testing Ask Me Anything - Communities of Practice - Lee Marshall - 13th August 2019, 8pm UK Time
- Power Hour – Pairing & Mobbing - Lisi Hocke - 22nd of August 7pm UK Time
- TestBash Germany - 12th - 13th September 2019
- TestBash Manchester - 2nd - Thursday 3rd October 2019
- Test.bash(); - 4th October 2019
- TestBash Australia - 24th - 25th October 2019
- TestBash New Zealand - 29th October 2019
- TestBash San Francisco - 6th - 7th November 2019
- How to Create and Test Accessible PDFs - This webinar will explain how to create, test, and remediate PDFs to ensure access for people with disabilities and conformance with the Section 508 Standards.
- WCAG confusion around audio description - Great to help decipher some of the more confusing aspects.
- Best Practices for Prototyping Keyboard Accessibility - It’s very important to remember that for some people, specifically those with a motor impairment who are unable to use a mouse or trackpad, the keyboard is the primary method of navigating the web and interacting with user interfaces.
- React Testing Library - On the 27th June, AiT did their second live stream, this time exploring React Testing Library (RTL).
- TRIMS - A mnemonic that could be useful for automation.
- How Automation Works with a Human-Centered Testing Approach - The technical side of the world may be within our collective power to figure out, but we still make decisions without knowing everything about it.
- Start with a DevOps Transformation - You’ll Find Agile Along the Way - Agile is just a part of a means to an end. Don’t make it the focus of your transformation effort.
- What’s Next in Test Automation - There is a tendency for techies to always be looking to the next new shiny object.
- What is Machine Learning? - Good round up of the basics of Machine Learning.
- Natural Language Processing (NLP)Based Test Automation - How is NLP helping the world?
Check out our forever automagically updated list of software testing podcasts...
- Preparing for a future microservices journey (with Wardley Maps) with Susanne Kaiser - Learn which questions you need to ask before starting a microservice project
- Shane Thornley: Taking Care and Leading InfoSec People - Shane examines the critical role of security operations (KLO/RTB), as well as, emphasizes the importance of taking care and leading people in infosec.
- Episode 552 - 95% Of Problems Found By Penetration Tests Can Be Easily Fixed - Penetration tests are an important aspect of application security but they can be overwhelming.
- SynCaps - Windows-based card sorting tool.
- Largest Contentful Paint - Making it easier to know when a page's important content has loaded.
- synk - Enabling more than 300,000 developers to automatically find and fix open source vulnerabilities.
- S3 Bucket Namesquatting - Abusing predictable S3 bucket names - This post outlines a security issue that may affect your deployment and provides some quick fixes to avoid being vulnerable.
- Six Tips and Four Tools for File Upload Testing - Uploading a malicious file is one of the ways that a bad actor can exploit your application, either by taking down your application, or by extracting sensitive data from it.
- 500,000 Monzo banking customers told to change their PINs - Mobile-only bank Monzo has apologised for a gaffe which left the PINs of a subset of its customers exposed to its internal engineers.
- Amazon now lets you opt-out of having humans review your Alexa conversations - Apple has completely paused letting contractors listen to Siri voice recordings worldwide, and Google has stopped its contractors listening in Europe.
- QA Test Analyst - Hartlebury, Worcestershire / Potentially other UK based locations
- SDET / Software Development Engineer in Test - Leeds, United Kingdom
- Open Source Performance Testing Pt 1 - Introduction to Apache JMeter - Kansas City
- Inaugural Meetup & Lean Coffee - Toronto
- Cutting in Line for Taylor Swift Tix - Hayden Payne - Columbus
- An Introduction to Selenium with Java - for absolute beginners - Auckland
- August Meetup - Summer Party - Newcastle