Engineering at Friday
Engineers at Friday are committed and passionate technology enthusiasts. We focus on the heavy lifting of application architecture, content management systems, data modelling, application logic, data services and REST APIs, both in the browser and on the server. Our engineers have deep specialist skills in one or two parts of the stack (from prototyping and front end, to backend, infrastructure and QA), however, we encourage a full-stack attitude: an understanding of the whole project lifecycle and an ability to navigate, communicate and practice at opposite ends of the stack.
We pride ourselves on our strong engineering practice; from open sourcing our own tools and practices, adopting collaborative and empowering methods such as TDD, BDD and Specification by Example, establishing a QA and DevOps culture within all teams, embracing mobile-first responsive design by default and striving for a culture of continuous learning.
What you’ll do
As a Senior Sitecore Engineer you will work in an agile environment to conceive, describe and craft, beautifully useful digital services. You will be part of a friendly team working on and driving forward high profile projects, building responsive websites and mobile applications integrated with many different platforms and services. You’ll gain exposure to the full stack utilising continuous integration processes and a broad range of technologies to deliver a high-quality customer focused experience across a range of devices.
Everybody at Friday is client-facing, so when you’re not writing code you will be assisting with pitches, running Specification by Example workshops, or doing feature demonstrations. You’ll be encouraged to innovate and share knowledge with your team.
About the Role
As a Senior Sitecore Engineer, your key tasks and responsibilities will be to:
- Write high quality ASP.NET MVC, C# code on Sitecore 8.1 and 8.2 platforms
- Collaborate closely with our Frontend, Design, Strategy and Delivery Management teams to engineer new applications, evolve existing ones and integrate with external services
- Work closely with our in-house QA team to marry unit tests with rigorous end-to-end testing to ensure applications function as expected
- Present feature demonstrations internally and to clients
- Adopt and evolve Friday’s engineering standards and practices, to ensure we have a shared and common approach to development and delivery
- Support Sitecore Engineering planning and delivery across multiple simultaneous projects within a single programme of work
- Take project requirements directly from clients, and co-develop through Specification By Example, estimation and planning, clear and testable requirements and prioritised work effort.
The key skills you will require to be successful in this role are:
- Experience of developing on Sitecore platforms, especially Sitecore versions 8.1+
- Love to use ORMs including Sitecore Glass Mapper
- Brilliant knowledge of Sitecore MVC and ASP.NET MVC
- Hands on C# programming experience using Design Patterns
- Great OO skills, including strong design patterns knowledge
- Experience to understand why writing testable code is the right thing to do
- Knowledge of Team City, Octopus Deploy, MSBuild and Continuous Integration
- Experience of performance tracing and optimisation (HTTP and beyond)
- A good knowledge of Git, branching, pull request and continuous integration strategies
- A confident problem solver, troubleshooter and debugger in both development and production environments
- Ability to convert client requirements into stories and tasks, write acceptance criteria and provide estimates for delivery
- Ability and desire to lead and directly manage other Sitecore engineers including day to day mentoring, formal line management and appraisals.
The Big Plus
In addition to the above, we would be thrilled if you also had:
- Helix or SXA experience
- Sitecore Experience Marketing / DMS experience
- Integration experience with payment platforms such as Worldpay, Paypal, Apple Pay
- Other Content Management System experience (e.g. Umbraco, Episerver)
- Experience of modern front-end tooling (e.g. SASS, Angular, ES6)
- Experience of other programming languages such as Ruby, Java or PHP
- Understanding of good agile principles using Scrum and Kanban
- A proven track record building and delivering a variety of public facing websites and applications
- Experience of working in a digital agency.
Our ideal candidate is someone who is:
- Delightfully non-ego driven
- Full of energy and passion for what they do
- Confident and generous in sharing own specialist knowledge
- Able to make good decisions by applying both reason and intuition
- Pragmatic and knows when their code is “good enough” to ship
- Constantly learning, teaching and challenging their own thinking
- Able to make others better by consciously teaching and unconsciously inspiring
- Well organised, with a strong work ethic
- An exceptional communicator who is able to communicate effectively at all levels