Getting Started With Mobile Testing – A MindMap

I’ve been busy creating more MindMaps.  It helps me process thoughts and the fact that I can do it really easily on my iPad is a big bonus.

There was quite a bit of interest in the mobile testing mindmap from our recent mobile testing course, however, I felt it lacked a bit of structure and focus.  It was afterall, not meant to be a focused picture on mobile testing, it was just notes on the course.

I then saw that Karen wrote this post on the mnemoic of SFDPOT, originally created by James Bach, but her focus was on Mobile Testing.  The idea of this is to give you some starting points of what to think about when starting to test mobile apps/websites.

I thought I’d take it one step further and turn it into a mindmap with a few additional points of my own.

Let me know what you think and if it is of interest or use! [Click mindmap for full size]

Getting started with Mobile Testing - MindMap

You might be interested in... Problem Solving for Testers - 1 Day Course

MoT Courses-19

Tags:

24 Responses to “Getting Started With Mobile Testing – A MindMap”

1. testerswainJune 7, 2012 at 11:37 am #

Overall it is a good mindmap.

Within most tablets and smart phones there is a gyroscopic component. Nothing was mentioned about how movement might impact on the software.

I also have “fat” fingers and press all the buttons at once frequently resulting in something unexpected. For example the ‘like’ button on the mobile version of facebook is problematic.

Thanks for that.

• rosiesherryJune 7, 2012 at 6:30 pm #

In my head I thought that would go under ‘Touchscreen’, but you are probably right, and it deserves it’s own little bubble. Will update soon!

• Patrick @ 4x4andmore.comJune 8, 2012 at 8:53 am #

In relation to that: think about disabled people or with a physical limitation (e.g. sight)
        Plenty people in bed or in hospitals are familiar to e.g. ipads.

• Rosie SherryJune 8, 2012 at 1:03 pm #

Some of this is covered in the UI section. There is room to add more sections like this, it’s so easy to have the mindmap mushroom into something bigger and lose the focus or simplicity of it.

Where does one start / stop? :)

2. QA GuyJune 7, 2012 at 12:51 pm #

Good stuff. Now all we need to do is test this :)

3. NickJune 7, 2012 at 1:47 pm #

I like this and think it will definitely help people start thinking about their scope and what they need to look at. I think platform specific ones could also be handy. (There is one typo in the SD card one, so maybe fix that :)

• rosiesherryJune 7, 2012 at 6:30 pm #

Platform specific ones could be good, want to help out making one?

4. yshai leviJune 7, 2012 at 2:29 pm #

Security tests and implications are missing (password in clear text, privacy, secure connection, input validation etc..)

• rosiesherryJune 7, 2012 at 6:32 pm #

Yshai – Good point about the security, will see how that can be added in. Thanks!

5. Sadiq Akbar-BashaJune 8, 2012 at 8:42 am #

I am new to mind mapping. I can see immediately its usefulness in the high level stages of brainstorming testing scenarios and the above is a very useful start. Thanks for sharing. Given the earlier comments that you are looking to update the mind map to include security tests, you may want to also include usability as it’s own area. Whilst arguably this non-functional principle could be tested under the ‘Function-Test What It Does-UI-…’ tree I think given that most mobile apps are aimed at non-technical consumers this area warrants its own call out. (No point having great functionality if users get frustrated by trying to use it)

• Rosie SherryJune 8, 2012 at 1:05 pm #

I’ll have a think about this one too!

6. Patrick @ 4x4andmore.comJune 8, 2012 at 8:55 am #

You might consider to reduce your mindmap later on to a quick reference card.

• Rosie SherryJune 8, 2012 at 1:04 pm #

I like this idea.

There’s also plenty of room to create more focused mindmaps on specific areas.

7. KristineJune 8, 2012 at 12:57 pm #

During last week I saw this MindMap promoted from many people and at the end of the week as one of my friend-colleagues post it I had to work hard with myself that I do not reply with “why are you so excited about this MindMap? Did you read it at all? It could be useful for beginner not for a person who works 2+ years in mobile testing!”

The same as you I think this map is missing focus. Like Nick I think you should dived it into 1) platform and 2) app OR website not both.

Additionally I will use a chance to ask if some Android app tester would like to chat time to time on the skype to share experiences :)

• Rosie SherryJune 8, 2012 at 1:08 pm #

I guess that’s why it’s called ‘getting started’.

However, I still find it useful to have main points as reminders of what I should be thinking about. It’s so easy to forget to do something.

We do have some other ones in progress, and there is such huge scope to delve into each specific area in much more detail.

Already working with Nick on producing more platform / OS specific ones :)

8. Bernard LelchukJune 8, 2012 at 1:15 pm #

All-in-all it’s a great mind-map to get started with mobile Testing! :)
    It reminds me a similar mobile testing overview which I’ve posted a few years back. It’s a bit outdated however most of it still relevant & worth checking-out:

In regards to your mind-map, there are many areas in which this mind-map could be expanded & enriched.
    I’ll explain below several aspects of mobile testing which are critical for both testers & mobile app developers:

* UX – These days User-Experience (A.k.a UX) is a top priority, thankly due to the iOS which started this movement.
    If an application/service is difficult to use or to understand – then there are UX issues which should be reported & handled.
    If a flow of actions or a logic such as user registration, basic functionality or logic which is the core of the app is un-certain and difficult or worse unable to be clear & understood to the user(and also tester) – More UX issues are here to be handled.
    UX design & testing is a profession – not known to many, however should be learned and understood by every developer & testers imo.

* Carriers & Networks– It’s a good practice testing your application via different carriers & networks as you may find some differences when running the SAME application on different carriers & networks.

* Device Manufactures, Resolutions & OS fragmentations – Mobile applications should be tested at least on 1 device per each supported resolution. These days where the market is flooded with various resolutions as per smart-phones & tablets – you should never underestimate your un-supported resolutions/devices. By doing so you may receive negative feedbacks on market from angry/disappointed users which are using such un-supported devices/resolutions and are affected from various bugs.
    These bugs could differ from minor to major UI issues, compatibility & accessibility issues, Functional issues & even repeated crashed or they may experience a useless application at worst.

Therefore, planning a test matrix which covers all possible/available resolutions for the tested devices/platforms is a good practice and will give you a clear look on how your app is updated with market devices & trends.

Also when you know your limitations – do not neglect them but handle them respectfully. Know the market and its devices & OS distribution statistics.
    For Android for example you should review the current distribution statistics in the following link:
    It won’t make much sense testing your app on an Android device running 1.5 Cupcake OS which currently share a 0.3% distribution of current Android devices in the market.
    However testing an Android device running a 2.3.3-2.3.7 Gingerbread OS which currently share a 64.6% distribution of current Android devices in the market – Is a Must!!!
    Android is just an example here – The same practices are valid for iOS, WP & other mobile platforms.

*** Know your devices FIRST prior testing any app on them!!! ***
    GSMArena is a great platform for mobile devices resources, reviews & comparisons.
    Read about your current or opt-to-be purchased/desired devices prior making any such decision.

If you have enough resources – Get the most popular devices per manufacture/resolution. Bare in mind that OS can be up/down-graded on various devices when needed. Thus when planning which devices should be purchased – It would be wiser to get an extra device from a different manufacture or with a different resolutions, rather than purchasing 2 devices of the same manufacture/resolution with the exception of different OS. This off-course will not be valid if a needed device cannot run a desired OS though.
    Here’s the link:

* Inputs – either soft or physical keyboards – should be tested in various ways – There are many software keyboards out there, which includes emotions and special inputs which are not to be found on default keyboards – bare in mind that not all mobile apps will support these inputs.
    Also test how they affect the user and the application. Soft-keys should reflect the correct input. E.g. if field is numerical, there’s not point using the full QWERTY keyboard, but rather use the dedicated Numerical soft-keyboard.
    Also ensure that the soft-keyboard do not take the all screen or doesn’t block the current field, nor does it remain on top with no option to close it.

Sorry about the long feedback, however I felt it would help others :)

Again Kudos for this great mind-map!

Cheers,
    Bernard

• AshwinJune 9, 2012 at 12:14 pm #

First things first, magnificent piece of post :)

Yes, Bernard. True that UX is a big domain with specialized people working for it.
      A significant point on knowing the logic behind app as to how comfortable it is for the user/tester to figure out. Yeah, that’s what comes in UX more or less. :)

UI testing should not be interpret as look and feel or some cut out edges or buttons. The entire understanding on Ux-logic-flow shall be considered while testing.

Having a market watch with statics analysis serves the purpose on testing in-depth.

Cheers,
      Ashwin

• Rosie SherryJune 11, 2012 at 10:06 am #

Hey Bernard – awesome massive long feedback, much appreciated.

The challenge is to keep things simple – it would be so easy to make this a never ending MindMap, that would be funny :)

There’s room to drill down into many areas of this mindmap in addition to each of the points you highlight. I’d like to make Monday’s – MindMap Mondays and with the help of other people we could create many more specific/niche/detailed MindMaps.

The software I use also exports the data as a text file…this is handy, I think as we could also create a checklist for those that prefer to consume data/information that way.

I would love it if people, like yourself would contribute to creating MindMaps that we could share with the community, would you be interested?

• Bernard LelchukJune 11, 2012 at 10:21 am #

Hi Rosie,

Glad you liked my detailed response :)

I’ll be happy to assist in future MindMaps, feel free contacting me in that regard.

Btw, which MindMap software you use?
        I’m familiar with MindMeister which is a great tool, although there are many others in the market.

Cheers,
        Bernard.

9. MarkJuly 2, 2012 at 11:42 am #

this is awesome.. good stuff!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Getting Started With Mobile Testing | Neglected Potential - June 7, 2012

[...] Over at Ministry of Testing they have put together a nice mind map that serves as a great starting point of things to consider for testing (as well as development and design) when you’re starting a mobile project. I’m hoping at some point somebody will make platform specific ones for Android and iOS. If not… maybe I will. Anyway, head on over to check it out: Getting Started With Mobile Testing – A MindMap [...]

2. Mobile Testing MindMap « QA Thoughts :: Agile Testing & Tools :: ^_^ - June 8, 2012

[...] Testing MindMap by Ministry of Testing Like this:LikeBe the first to like this post. Categories: Mobile Testing Tags: Ministry of [...]

3. iOS Testing Mind Map – How to test an iPhone/iPad/iPod « Bernard Lelchuk's Blog – Agile Testing in a Rapid Changing World - September 6, 2012

[...] Map – How to test an iPhone/iPad/iPod A few months ago I had come across this great Getting Started with Mobile Testing Mind Map by Ministry of [...]

4. Issue #28 | iOS Biz Weekly - September 7, 2012