Our latest MindMap comes directed from the community. We put a tweet out asking for ideas for MindMaps, one on hiring came up.
So we started a forum post and got some good ideas. And here we present the MindMap.
Download (ZIP) (img, PDF, text, xml, Opml, Freemind).
In a list format here for easy reference –
- Professional Networks: Create a profile
- Professional Networks: Ensure it is complete
- Professional Networks: Be professional, it’s not Facebook
- Connect with people you know, not just anyone
- Quality, over quantity
- See STC events listings
Not interested in a position?
- Personally / directly
- Via social media
Industry specific communities
- Software Testing Club
- Mailing Lists
- Context Driven Software Testing (Yahoo)
- Agile Testing (Yahoo)
- Traditional Job Boards
- Jobserve, Monster, etc
- Go direct, apply on company websites
- People often post jobs or their availability
- Blog posts
Take your time to get to know people
- Software Professionals
- Project Managers
This is a slow burn process
- On and offline
- Reach out to them when you are job hunting
- Help them too!
- Let them come to you
- Avoid telephone calls to start with
- They put you on the spot
- Ensure the position genuinely interests you
- Avoid sharks
- Recruiters can be sneaky
- Ask around for recommendations
- Test them on their knowledge of the industry
- Ensure the job is genuine
- There are many time wasters out there
- How do you add value?
- How do testers in general add value?
- Can you diversify?
- Your skills
- What are you learning?
- Do you really care?
- Be helpful