Watch as Louise Gibbs walks us through how they took on Challenge 1 of the exploratory week, the Shifting Left challenge.
Challenge 1: Shifting Left
This challenge is one of the Exploratory testing week challenges that get you thinking about and practising Exploratory testing. Our challenges offer activities for you to learn new skills and knowledge as well as practise Exploratory testing. Whether you are just starting out in Exploratory testing or looking to try out something new. We have the challenge for you.
This challenge is called ‘Shift Left’ but what does that actually mean? From a practical perspective, it means we can expand our testing beyond just the product, and get involved with testing ideas, requirements, diagrams and discussions prior to the product being built. We can also use critical thinking to help catch issues early in development, dispelling assumptions and helping our team develop a shared understanding and improving the quality of the product. This activity is all about getting into that shift left mindset by using our exploratory testing skills to explore ideas and requirements.
This challenge gets you to use your exploratory testing skills on more abstract artifacts. Such as requirements, diagrams and ideas.
For this challenge, we would like you to:
- Download one of the attached User stories for this challenge
- Read through the User story and support information
- Write down a list of different questions you would ask to learn more about the User story
- Consider using techniques like 5 W’s and an H to come up with questions
- Pick a note-taking tool that you like using to capture your questions
- Help one another out by sharing questioning techniques and tools in this Club thread
What You'll Learn
- Observe has others solve testing challenges