February RoundUp of All Things MoT
February was short...OK bad joke, being the shortest month of the year and all. Regardless of length, we've had a very busy month, with new events launched, new course and new content.
A few selected discussions from The Club that we thought you might find interesting.
- What’s a testing belief you once held but have now let go? posted by rosie. The software testing world is always changing, our beliefs often change with it.
- 30 Days of Testability - Day 1: Define Testability posted by philipp. Our latest 30 Days of Testing challenge is off to a strong start with this excellent collection of definitions!
- Is code freeze still a thing? posted by billkav. Do you stop doing changes on the release branch until a release to production?
- QA Career Development posted by amcharrett. Have you experienced a QA career development that has worked for you?
- Automated Test Run Timing posted by fabio. What benchmark timing would you suggest for automation runs?
The Club Ninja
Each month we select one of our Club users to be our Ninja of the Month. Our Club Ninja this month is Vasileios Kavvadias!
Community Service at Ministry of Testing by Rosie Sherry
A couple of weeks ago we had our first ever Ministry of Testing Retreat. The whole team got together to go over all things MoT. Life is ever so busy. As we grow it often feels like a bit of a hamster wheel as we try to make all the things happen without it all falling apart beneath us.
London Tester Gathering Workshops Line-up is Live
The Ministry of Testing and Tony Bruce are excited to announce that the London Tester Gathering Workshops programme is live! It’s a perfect opportunity for all you software testers to polish up some existing skills or learn some new ones.
TestBash, Our Software Testing Conference, Returns to the West Coast
TestBash, our global software testing conference, is returning to the West Coast! After the huge success of last year, the demand for an encore is clear. We’re keeping the same format: a two-day single track conference on November 6-7, 2019.
Joining Ministry of Testing as MoneyBoss by Sarah Kitchener
Before joining the Ministry of Testing, I was caught in a toxic working environment which was having a detrimental effect on my mental health and family life.
In our ongoing effort to keep you up-to-date with all that’s happening on The Dojo, Mark has started a new DojoBoss vlog and collated all the software testing content released on The Dojo this month. Here’s all the NEW content that’s waiting for you:
A fantastic new course “Beginner's Guide To Mobile Testing” with Daniel Knott. If you are new to mobile testing or you want to switch from another industry field to mobile, then this course is the right foundation for you. We'll cover all the basics of mobile testing and have even sprinkled in some quick, fun tasks throughout to help you develop new mobile testing use cases to implement at your company.
An interesting Community Thoughts article “99 Things You Can Do To Become A Better Software Tester v2.0” by Rosie Sherry. There’s nothing like a new year to focus in on how we can improve ourselves as individuals, software testers and a community as a whole.
An insightful Web Testing 101 article “AI in GUI-Based Software Testing: An Overview of the State of the Practice” by Daniel Kraus. Artificial intelligence (AI) and machine learning (ML) are still some of the most hyped topics at the moment. Especially in the realm of software testing, various new tool manufacturers have emerged over the past few years that incorporate some sort of AI in their products.
The 30 Days of Testing Challenge is back with 30 Days of Testability, the community effort started on Friday 1st March!
An unmissable Testing, Ask me Anything with Ash Winter on Testability. Discover what are the principles of testability and what do they mean to my daily work. How you can convince your team that investing in testability is worth it. Ash answered an incredible amount of questions on the night, you will definitely learn something new from watching.
A Masterclass with Peter Bartlett on Strategies To Make Your Automated Checks Reliable and Robust. Learn how to write automated checks in a way that is fast, reliable, maintainable and becomes a crucial part of your continuous delivery pipeline.
Four new webinar presentation recordings from our MoT MeetUps:
How Pro Wrestling Made Me A World Champion Tester - Jenna Charlton. Have you ever considered that software testing is like a pro wrestling match?
TestCafé: End-to-end web testing - Julian M Bucknall. In this introductory webinar, Julian Bucknall will detail why DevExpress created TestCafe.
A Practical Guide to Testing in DevOps - Katrina Clokie. In this talk, Katrina will share some thoughts on her book, A Practical Guide to Testing in DevOps. It will introduce DevOps, share some common DevOps practices for testing during development, production, and infrastructure, and then apply how and why DevOps can change testing strategies.nd discuss the practical aspect of testing in Devops.
Painless Testing for Modern Web Applications with Cypress.io - Gleb Bahmutov. Unit testing is hard and time-consuming; and worse - the users and the customers do not care! They only want the features working in the production system, everything else is development overhead. If this is the case, how do we improve the web application quality? How do we catch the bugs early? How can we test the deployed system effectively?
February Online Events
Masterclass: How to Test Data Analytics without knowing anything about Data Analytics with Daniel Hunt - 19th March 8pm UK Time
This is Data Analytics testing 101! So you've been dumped into testing software that contains some sort of fancy-pants data analytics. The only problem is, you don't/can't/won't(!?) understand it and nobody is going to pay or wait to catch you up to speed. Where do you get started? What can you test about algorithms without any experience or in-depth knowledge?
Just a quick sneak peek at what events are coming up in the next few months
- Masterclass: How to Test Data Analytics without knowing anything about Data Analytics with Daniel Hunt - 19th March 8pm UK Time
- TestBash Essentials Brighton - 1 day - Wednesday 3rd April 2019 - Tickets on Sale!
- TestBash Brighton - 1 day - Friday 5th April 2019 - Tickets on Sale!
- Testing Ask Me Anything - Whole Team Testing - Lisa Crispin - 9th April 8pm UK Time
- TestBash Netherlands - 2 days - Thursday 23rd - Friday 24th May 2019 - Super Early Bird Tickets on Sale!
- London Tester Gathering Workshops - 3 days - Wednesday 26th - Friday 28th June - Sign up to the launch list!
- TestBash Germany - 2 days - Thursday 12th - Friday 12th September - Sign up to the launch list!
- TestBash Manchester - 2 days - Wednesday 2nd - Thursday 3rd October - Sign up to the launch list!
- Test.bash(); - 1 day - Friday 4th October - Sign up to the launch list!
- TestBash Australia - 2 days - Thursday 24th - Friday 25th October - Sign up to the launch list!
- TestBash New Zealand - 1 day - Tuesday 29th October - Submit your talk!
- TestBash San Francisco - 2 days - Wednesday 6th - Thursday 7th November 2019 - Submit your talk!