TestBash Autumn: Expand your testing expertise. 22-23 November
Join us this week for an immersive online conference covering a broad range of testing topics. Connect with fellow testers and gain valuable insights. Register today!
How do you talk about quality with people who aren't testers?
This was the topic of discussion during last week's This Week in Testing. We agreed it's important to understand what quality means for the people we work with closely, such as developers and product managers, as well as people we don't work with on a day-to-day basis, for example, senior leadership.
Al Goodall highlighted that we need to try to connect and understand their quality language. Paul Maxwell-Walters proposed a helpful question to ask yourself and others, "Where is quality in the context of the company?". Incidentally, Al is speaking at TestBash Autumn this week on a similar topic: How Collaborating with the Wider Business Helps with Testing.
Here's what else the testing community have been sharing.
- Stress testing Playwright tests using GitHub Actions by Luc Gagan
- 📘 Jesper Ottosen is writing a book on testing and leadership. Leading Testing Activities – A Guidebook for New Leaders of Testing
- Simon Prior shares six tips on supporting your team. In It Together! – Supporting your Team
- The Testing Peers announce their first conference, PeersCon in Nottingham, UK, 14th March 2024
- A Day In The Life of a Head of Software Testing by Daniel Knott
- Empowering Software Testing: The Impact of Fundamental Coding Knowledge by Natalia Demianenko
- Ravisuriya Eshwara asks, Who is a Developer?
Strategy & Methodologies
- 📗 New book. A Guide for Facilitating Quality Assessments, With Case Studies using QPAM by Janet Gregory and Selena Delesie
- Secret sauce to great testing is to change the managers by Maaret Pyhäjärvi
Testing in Production
- 🌶️ This study includes some draw-dropping stats and advises organizations to re-evaluate their testing processes and security protocols: The Lazy Developer: Testing in production is real, but… by Antonija Bilic Arar
- Melissa Fisher reminds us that "we all work differently, so the ways we provide "test evidence" is going to be different."
New-to-MoT to check out this week
📂 What do jewellery making, carpentry and construction have in common with software quality? Find out in this article by Atmaram Naik: Drawing Parallels Of Software Quality With Other Fields
📂 Ask Me Anything - Holistic Testing with Janet Gregory. How has holistic testing had a significant impact on a product's quality? What does holistic testing even mean? How do you build it into your ways of working? Find out answers to these questions plus several more. Hosted by the brilliant Vernon Richards.
📂 In this feature spotlight, Diogo Rede explains how milestones can help organise all your testing efforts into one place.
One more thing. Here's a message from Áine McGovern, our MarketingBoss.
🎁 We have a new Pro Membership Competition of the year thanks to our annual partner Qameta Software. You could win access to all of our learning content including our Workshops, Masterclasses, Courses, TestBash talks, online TestBashes and everything else! Plus, exclusive discounts to our software testing training and in-person events. Enter today!
Have a great week.
— Simon, CommunityBoss
Kualitee kindly supports this newsletter
Effortless Test Management with Kualitee
Simplify testing and get live QA insights with Kualitee, your all-in-one test management platform. Boost collaboration, explore new testing possibilities, and enjoy hassle-free software releases. Kualitee transforms testing into an efficient, enjoyable experience for top-quality results. Try Kualitee now!
Connect with fellow testers and spot some MoT monsters at TestBash Autumn
🙋🙋♀️🙋♂️ Join the conversation
- 🔥 Hot topic: What are reasonable accessibility changes to start with?
- 🔥 Hot topic: QA metrics. Which ones would you add/remove?
- How might someone start practising active listening?
- Can you add to the AI and Testing wiki?
- Melissa would like to know, what testing problems and challenges are you facing right now?
- What do you share in your automation reports?
- Can you help Big Shaon decide which programming language to study?
- How do you derive code coverage from tests that straddle multiple services/repos?
- Security Testing - Where on earth do you start?
- How do you test third-party generative AI models?
📖 Helpful business posts
- Bridging the Gap in IT Environments Management : Lower versus Upper Environments — Jane Temov
- Smart Baseline Strategy and Overwrite Screenshot for Smart UI — Mythili Raju
- Reports create common context for developers – Artem Eroshenko
- Visual Testing for Mobile Apps: How to Get Started — Salman Khan
- Role of AI in Automated Testing — Ivan Filippov
- Machine Learning in Testing: A Game Changer for Anomaly and Defect Detection — Smeetha Thomas
- Software Testing Strategies for Improving DevOps Metrics — Bridget Hughes
- Tue 21 Nov Analyse Requirements
- Wed 22 Nov - Thu 23 Nov TestBash Autumn 2023
- Tue 28 Nov Teamwork Makes the Full-Stack Testing, Dream Work
- Wed 29 Nov Embracing the Future: Navigating the Next Frontier of Testing with AI and LambdaTest
- Thu 30 Nov Testing Ask Me Anything on Teams Without Testers
- Thu 14 Dec Testing Ask Me Anything on Playwright
- Wed 25 Sep - Thu 26 Sep TestBash UK 2024