We're now into the festive season, thankfully we've lots of fantastic content to keep you cosy...or insert something just as cheesy here. Either way, lots of new content for you to discover.
A few selected discussions from The Club that we thought you might find interesting.
- Self Learning Plans posted by froberts. When you're self-learning, it can be difficult to find structure but there are some excellent suggestions here to help.
- Name your 3 top testing skills. ONLY 3, you can do it posted by mcgovernaine. There's quite a variety of skills listed here, what are your top 3?
- Power Hour - Operability posted by robertmeaney. A fascinating topic with a great range of questions from the community, a great opportunity to learn more about Operability and join the conversation.
- Exploratory Testing Debriefs - How do you do yours? posted by langers. Every team does this differently often experimenting until they find an approach that works for them, what suggestions do you have?
- What’s the difference between a human test and an automated check? posted by hellofrommot. Always a hot topic in testing circles, what do you think the differences are?
The Club Ninja
Each month we select one of our Club users to be our Ninja of the Month. Our Club Ninja this month is Brian Segurson.
We’ve selected nine of our most popular topics and created pages for each of them. We’ve even organised the content by type. So if you want to quickly view all the podcasts about Leadership or articles on Performance testing, you can. Not only does each topic page offer a quick view of related content but they come with one of our famous 99-second intro videos.
All the talks from TestBash Manchester 2019:
- A Code Challenge of Confidence - Elisabeth Hocke
- Observability and Testing: Explore What's Happening Under the Hood - Pierre Vincent
- The Wheels on the Bus Go Fail, Fail, Fail - Yong Yuen He and Daniel Smart
- How I Learned to Be a Better Tester Through Practising “Humble Inquiry” - Kwesi Peterson
- My Story of Kanban and Its Positive Impact on Testing - Conor Fitzgerald
- Continuous Testing - Gary Fleming
- Threat Modelling: How Software Survives in a Hacker’s Universe - Saskia Coplans
- Turning the Quality of Your Deployment Pipeline into a Team Task - Areti Panou
- 99 Second Talks - TestBash Manchester 2019
All the talks from our automation and technical testing conference Test.bash(); 2019:
- Expand Your Test, Embrace Your Bash - Dominic Kua
- Technical Risk Analysis for AI Systems - Bill Matthews
- The Joy of Record and Playback in Test Automation - Louise Gibbs
- Breaking Boundaries Using Charles - Suman Bala
- So You Think You Know Appium Because You Know Selenium - Wim Selles
- Testing Progressive Web Apps (or How to Achieve App-iness) - Elizabeth Fiennes and Callum Akehurst-Ryan
- World Without WebDriver? Automated Test Strategy for Modern Web Applications - Bart Szulc
- Deploy Microservices Confidently Using Consumer Driven Contracts - Henrik Stene
- Accelerate: The Science of DevOps - What You Need to Know - Emily Bache
- 99 Second Talks - Test.bash(); Manchester 2019
A new episode of Testers’ Island Discs with Simon Prior on learning, leadership and culture. Simon shares his experiences working as QA Programme Manager for Camelot as well as his ongoing mission in supporting testers both at work and in the community in becoming better testers.
A few new great reads in this year’s The Testing Planet:
- Ten Reasons The Whole Team Owns Defects: We're All Responsible For The Product by Kate Paulk -In a perfect world, everyone on the team regardless of role works together to produce the best possible product they can build and test in the time available.
- Automated Security Testing Using ZAP Python API by Amit Kulkarni. Doing Automated Security Testing using ZAP API can help in finding early vulnerabilities. Finding vulnerabilities early in the development cycle helps the team reduce security issues and cost.
An inspiring Community Story: From TestSphere Cards to MoT Meetup Organiser by Emna Ayadi - her story about her experience of RiskStorming, how she took that learning experience back home to Tunisia and then set up the very first Ministry of Testing Meetup in Africa!
An unmissable Masterclass: [E] Building a World Class QA team with Chris Thacker. Chris’s team is on a journey to build a world-class product engineering hub at a major e-commerce site, as part of that they are building a world-class QA Team.
- Dealing with Errors
- Data Types
- Control Flow - If Statements
- Control Flow - Loops
- Control Flow - Callbacks and Promises
- Third Party Libraries
- Moving Forward
A meetup recording from MoT Cork Meetup with Hilary Weaver-Robb: Digging In: Getting Familiar with Code to be a Better Tester. Maybe you’ve been testing the same application for a while, and your rate of finding new bugs has slowed. Or you’re trying to find more ways to figure out what your devs are doing day to day. You have the tools at your disposal, you just need to dig in!
November Online Events
Testing Ask Me Anything - Collaboration, Pairing and Mobbing with Elisabeth Hocke
Software development is all about people. We build products for people, together with people – therefore, collaboration skills are crucial for success. But how to work well together? Let’s answer all your questions around collaboration and collaborative approaches like pairing and mobbing!
Once registered you could ask Elisabeth any question you might have, here are a few examples:
- How to foster collaboration in a team?
- What is pairing and mobbing, and why are these approaches worth a try?
- How can we hone our collaboration skills?
Just a quick sneak peek at what events are coming up in the next few months
- Testing Ask Me Anything - Collaboration, Pairing and Mobbing - 8pm UK Time Tuesday 10th December 2019
- Power Hour - Coaching Experts & End Users to Participate in Testing - 7pm UK Time Wednesday 8th January
- TestBash Brighton - 2 days - Thursday 26th - Friday 27th March 2020
- TestBash Detroit 2020 - 2 days - Thursday 23rd - Friday 24th April 2020
- TestBash Netherlands 2020 - 2 days - Thursday 28th - Friday 29th May 2020